Slalom gates (for X stream challenge)

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.

Slalom gates (for X stream challenge)

Postby dpround » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 am

I'm trying to make some Slalom gates to try out some of the BCU X stream challenge with the kids in the pool. I have 10m of 40mm white waste pipe, which I think will make the poles, provided it is long enough. It seems I need 10 poles, so that makes them 1m. I need to make stretchers, but there is no information on how wide they should be. I will probably need the gates to be as narrow as practical due to the size of the pool.

Thanks for any tips

David
dpround

Re: Slalom gates (for X stream challenge)

Postby chriscw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

I can't remember exactly how wide I made mine but I got the dimensions from the Diamond slalom challenge information.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)
chriscw

Postby dpround » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

From the USA rules:

The gates consist of two suspended poles painted with five green and five white rings for downstream gates, and five red and five white rings for upstream gates, with the bottom rings always being white. Gates flush to the current may be either red or green, whichever seems more appropriate in each instance. The width of the gates is 1.2m minimum, and 3.5m maximum, measured between the poles. The poles must be round, at least 2m long, 3.5 to 5cm in diameter, and of sufficient weight that motion caused by the wind is not excessive. The lower ends of the poles should be approximately 15 cm above the water, and the poles must not be put in motion by the water. Gates must be numbered in the order of negotiation. The gate number panels must measure 30cm x 30cm. The numbers must be painted on both sides of the panels, black on a yellow or white background, and must be at least 20cm high and have a line width of 2cm. On the side of the panel opposite the direction of correct negotiation, a diagonal red line is painted, bottom left to top right.

Given that the pool is 9m wide then having the gates adjustable between 1.2 and perhaps 1.5m seems reasonable?

Am I introducing any risk by having poles only 1m long - so the top is approx 1.2m above the water? I think this would be OK in a swimming pool?

David
dpround

Postby jamesl2play » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 pm

When I used to make slalom gates I used a much smaller dia pipe for the spacers (about 12-15mm if I remember correctly)
If that comes in say a 3m length cut it in half and set the gates about 1200mm wide.

Another tip is to suspend them off bale cord using spring clips. Its cheap and light. Also make them adjustable from the water.
jamesl2play

Postby Mike Mayberry » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:51 pm

If you have string/ rope across the pool to suspend them from then it's easy to just hang them from that and cut them to the appropriate length so they don't make contact with the water. We also inserted foam into some pipes and purchased swimming bricks which were tied to the poles. They were secured so that they can be adjusted to the depth of the pool and come up from the surface, which is good enough for our needs. You can also set the course so that the side of the pool is used as one side of a gate, this helps in the small space available in a pool and cuts down on the number needed to make a course.
Mike Mayberry

Postby JohnK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Let's not mix up Cross Stream Challenge with slalom (ranking competition).

For Cross Stream Challenge you can do whatever you like. You can make gates or markers with whatever you want and whatever size.

For ranking slalom (UK) the rules to follow for gates are here http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/committee/ ... _Rules.pdf at section C27.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

dpround wrote:From the USA rules:

The gates consist of two suspended poles painted with five green and five white rings for downstream gates, and five red and five white rings for upstream gates, with the bottom rings always being white. Gates flush to the current may be either red or green, whichever seems more appropriate in each instance. The width of the gates is 1.2m minimum, and 3.5m maximum, measured between the poles. The poles must be round, at least 2m long, 3.5 to 5cm in diameter, and of sufficient weight that motion caused by the wind is not excessive. The lower ends of the poles should be approximately 15 cm above the water, and the poles must not be put in motion by the water. Gates must be numbered in the order of negotiation. The gate number panels must measure 30cm x 30cm. The numbers must be painted on both sides of the panels, black on a yellow or white background, and must be at least 20cm high and have a line width of 2cm. On the side of the panel opposite the direction of correct negotiation, a diagonal red line is painted, bottom left to top right.

Given that the pool is 9m wide then having the gates adjustable between 1.2 and perhaps 1.5m seems reasonable?

Am I introducing any risk by having poles only 1m long - so the top is approx 1.2m above the water? I think this would be OK in a swimming pool?

David

I don't know why you've quoted USA rules. Some detail conflicts with UK rules (for competition) I have referred to in my previous post.

Having poles 1m long should be workable as long as the spreader or wire is high enough so that it is not snagged by the paddle.

I use plastic pipe for training gates and weight them down with some concrete (poured in dry followed by some water) held by a plug of foam at the bottom. In the pool you probably don't need to weight the poles, and maybe concrete is not the best material there anyway with resultant risk of it breaking loose and dropping in.
JohnK

Return to Competition